We take great pride in maintaining the safety of our clients whilst they are travelling with us. Our wheelchair accessible minibuses come fitted with a safety belt system called the “4-point wheelchair webbing system”. This comprises of two front two rear sets of adjustable belts and clamps, along with an adjustable seatbelt. The belts can adapt to fit most wheelchairs, ensuring passengers are always safely secured whilst the vehicle is operational. In addition, we are responsible for the handling of wheelchairs, operating passenger lifts and the security of both passengers and wheelchairs, allowing you to travel comfortably and safely throughout your journey.
Our drivers are highly trained in providing transport for people who use wheelchairs. They provide a service with a smile, ensuring they are always friendly and courteous. Most importantly, they always implement the correct procedures regarding the safe and secure transportation of you and your wheelchair.
Procedures followed by our drivers include:
- Checking wheelchairs for any signs of damage or excess wear prior to boarding the bus. For example, a flat tyre on a wheelchair negatively impacts it’s ability to be safely clamped into the minibus.
- Operating the tail-lift where applicable and manoeuvring the wheelchair into the correct position within the vehicle
- Securing the wheelchair in a forward-facing position and never sideways
- Ensuring there is enough space around the wheelchair user
- Setting wheelchair castors in the parked position and ensuring brakes are applied
- Fitting the wheelchair “tie down” equipment according to manufacturers recommendations
- Helping the passenger (s) to correctly secure a harness or safety belt
- Re-checking everything before setting off
MiDAS is the award-winning Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme, designed and credited by the community transport association (CTA). It is a quality standard for businesses and individuals who are to deal with the transport of people with disabilities and reduced mobility. Our drivers are MiDAS certified to ensure your journey is as safe and pleasant as possible.
The number of wheelchair users that can fit into one vehicle for a single journey will depend on the vehicle available for your journey. We have a total of seven vehicles which are suitable for transporting people who use wheelchairs. When transporting one person using a wheelchair, where their wheelchair is clamped in using safety webbing, our 24-seater vehicles allow for up to 18 seated passengers.
No matter your destination or requirements, get in touch today and one of our highly dedicated members of staff will be happy to help.
Some of the clients who use our wheelchair accessible minibuses include:
- Primary & Secondary Schools
- GP Surgeries
- Care Homes
- Residential Homes
- Nursing Homes
- Local Councils
- Private Individuals